Featured Post

Welcome

     I have long wondered how the foods mentioned in the Twilight novel series would look and taste. Some foods Bella cooked herself, a symp...

Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Baked Apple in Pastry Hands


The third food reference is when Bella observes Alice leaving the cafeteria with an unbitten apple. Apples are pretty iconic in the whole Twilight series, so here's an idea of how to serve an apple at a Twilight gathering.

Puff pastry or pie crust 
Red delicious apples
Butter - unsalted
Brown sugar
Cinnamon

Slice in half and core.
If you want to bake them without any dough, sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon on the bottom of a pan, and add a few dabs of butter. I like using unsalted butter for sweet bakes. I baked the apple half for 15 minutes. The juice of the apple made a soft candy with the sugar and butter. It was good enough for my knees to bend. 





For the pie crust version, I was able to make 2 pies with 1 crust. Here is how I cut it. 

Next you have to smash and adapt the dough. I figure as long as the thumbs are on the top of the apple, the rest of the dough can be the best you can make it. It'll get eaten fast enough. 
Put brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter under the apple. Spread water around the edge and the press on the top.


I cut the overhanging dough off the top and then pushed it around the top edge of the exposed apple.

For the puff pastry version, I used half of one sheet for 1 apple. Here is how I cut it.

I shaped the squarish thumbs so they were rounded.
Where there was too much dough for the finger tips, I cut it off and pressed it on the top edge of the apple.
The doughed apples will take longer to bake than the plain apple. I didn't bake mine quite enough. Bake until more golden than mine, and you should be fine.



I love how the red in the skin bleeds into the flesh. I also love to cook Pink Lady apples. If you like sour, green apples - like Beau - give them a try. 
Do you see that melted butter oozing with the floating cinnamon? Oh, it was delish!
The pie crust version was saltier than the puff pastry. I prefer the puff pastry for this personal pie. Now, if Alice had this version, she just may have wanted to test it out ... or at least make it for Bella.

No comments:

Post a Comment